There is nothing more homely and comforting than the aroma of warm apple pie wafting from the kitchen. Our guest blogger Naina Trehan shares her recipe to make an amzing apple pie.
- Flour – 1 cup
- Cold butter – 8 tbsp
- Ice water – 1/4 cup
- Salt – 1/2 tsp
- Sugar – 1/2 tsp
- Egg White – 1 (to wash)
- Apples – 4 no. (peeled, cored, diced)
- Sugar – 4 tbsp
- Cinnamon – 1 tbsp
- Clove – 4 no
- Mix the dry ingredients on a marble surface (Marble is best because it keeps the ingredients cold, and cold ingredients are the key to producing a tender, flaky pie crust.)
- Dice the butter into small pieces and cut it into the dry mixture with a fork to ensure that you make a flaky pie crust.
- Gather the pie crust mixture into the center of your preparation surface and create a well in the center of the mixture, gradually add the ice cold water
- Knead it a few times till dough is formed
- In a pan without lid, add the apples and sugar and stir to combine the sugar with apples
- Mix in the cloves and cinnamon and keep gas on simmer and cook for 30 minutes or till water is dried out and apples are soft.
- Roll out the dough in a square and in the center put the stewed apples
- Now cut the dough in horizontal lines, 1 inch away from each other
- Start folding it from the top; first the left and then the right alternating it to form the braided effect
- With a brush egg wash the pie
- Bake in oven for 20 minutes
Serve with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
You can follow Naina at www.nainatrehan.wordpress.com .